Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Blogs-A good topic

                                                                          
You know how you start talking about one topic and soon you realize the topic has completely change as if in mid sentence?  Exactly what just happened on a topic posted on the ES forum.  The topic started as a question by one of the members that had just spent time looking at lovelies posted in the gallery, she noticed that a lot of the names of members who had posted the pictures do not appear to now be members, so she wondered where they went.    So now, where does blogging come in?    Well one member suggested maybe more of them had moved to blogging and were not spending the time on forums.  
That really got the ball rolling.  What members now have blogs?  The pitfalls and blessings that come from haveing a blog.  It really made me take a new look at blogging, I started so I could share my passion for sewing and anything beautiful. 

Some blog to promote their business, some to share their passions,  friendship's are formed because we have the same interest or have gone through the same ordeal.  Some blogs seem to just show how to make things or do things, others seem more personal and you get to know a person you would never have met if it were not for this person sharing themselves.

Now, the reason for following or not to follow seem to be different.  Leaving a comment is difficult for some as they feel there is little opportunity for interaction, other then leaving the comment to which the blogger rarely responds.

I enjoyed our conversation about blogging and being on a forum format, being able to respond to each other in 'real' time was something I also enjoyed.    I hope I learned a lot, I have rethought the blogging thing and know I will never have a huge blog, I will just enjoy the people I meet through blogging.  I know there are many, many blogs that share sewing but we each have a little bit different way of doing something and if I can follow someone through a process of their sewing I will learn something new.

So there are a few thoughts about blogging. I would love to hear your thoughts.   Maybe, tell why you blog.  What do you like about it, what do you not like.                                                                 

4 comments:

  1. You made me stop to think a moment or two here. I've been cutting back on my blogging time. I still feel the urge to blog, but haven't the time right now. For me, though, my blog changes. I try not to promote my products, but sometimes I do post about creating them, since that is the most fun part. I try to keep in mind what I my blog is supposed to be about, but you know....many of the folks who followed me early on, don't comment anymore, and those that comment, I find I kind of gear my posts toward now.

    I do still mix it up, though. I'll do a tutorial from time to time, but not so much anymore. They are so time consuming, and I'm not sure if they're really needed. Mostly, I find I talk about things happening in my life more and more instead of how-to's on sewing.

    Nice post...thought provoking. I'm anxious to see what others will say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following the forum discussion. Very interesting, and very different, points of view!
    I started my blog last year after a year of health issues. During that time, I realized how many of my favorite things had been set aside due to my health and business. My hope was to have a blog that would be about the many other things I love, and not just about sewing. However, it seems that most of my readers expect it to be only about sewing, and are disappointed when it is not.
    Little did I know that additional, and very serious, health issues would once again consume my time. My blog was a source of great comfort, and a way for me to keep friends and family updated on the my condition. I was so grateful at the time, but do not want to continue dwelling on only the difficult parts of my life and health.
    I am actually at a crossroads in deciding whether or not to even continue blogging. I believe it needs to be an extension and expression of the true me, and not just what other people want it to be. Just as I learned with my business, you cannot be everything to everyone. The best thing to be is true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I hope others will take the time to also share their thoughts on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed following the comments as well. I enjoy blogging mainly because I like to share my passion of sewing. I also like to make tutorials that can be posted on my blog that teaches sewing techniques. I enjoy helping those who are less fortunate or are SAHM's (Stay At Home Moms), who, for one reason or another, are not able to take classes. My hope is that my blog and tutorials are beneficial to them so that they can apply what they have learned and create beautiful things for their family or to sell and make some spending money!

    ReplyDelete